Two still recovering after Route 3 car accident that killed three others
Aug 12, 2013 | 5384 views | 1 1 comments | 102 102 recommendations | email to a friend | print
NORTH BERGEN AND BEYOND -- An early morning, one-car accident on Route 3 in North Bergen on Saturday killed three people, including the car’s driver, and sent two others to the hospital.

The two survivors were taken to the Jersey City Medical Center for treatment, according to police, who identified them as an 18-year-old Jersey City man and a 23-year-old man from Weehawken. As of Monday morning, the 18-year-old man was still being treated in the hospital’s Intensive Care Unit. “His condition was improving and he was expected to pull through,” said North Bergen town spokesman Phil Swibinski. He said the other man was released on Sunday morning.

“At about 4 a.m., we responded to a very serious one-car motor vehicle accident on Route 3 East just before the turn on to 495 East, the main thoroughfare leading to the Lincoln Tunnel,” said Deputy Chief Gerald Sanzari in a statement on Saturday.

The vehicle involved in the accident was a 2008 Dodge Charger, transporting five men between the ages of 18 to 31, according to police.

“Three were killed as a result of this accident," Sanzari said.

Joshua Mayorga, 23, of Union City was the lone fatality identified by Sanzari on Saturday. Jammal Mann, 31, of Newark, and Tariq M. DeMoss, 22, of North Bergen were identified on Monday, Aug. 12 by township spokesman Philip Swibinski.

“Four out of the five were ejected from the vehicle,” Sanzari said. “One of the occupants was found about 10 feet from the crash, several feet above the ground in a wooded area. The driver was killed as a result of this accident. He was the only occupant who was not ejected. He was wearing his seat belt.”

The deputy chief said that the two surviving occupants had been sitting in the back seat.

A police statement said that investigators are seeking to determine whether alcohol, drugs, and/or speeding were factors, “however, this cannot be determined at this time, until toxicology reports are received,” Sanzari said.

“They’re [North Bergen police] still investigating, along with the Hudson County Police and Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office,” Swibinski said on Monday. Police were still awaiting the toxicology reports, he said. --Joseph Passantino

Comments-icon Post a Comment
John A.
August 14, 2013
I heard from numerous people that the EMS on scene did a wonderful job, saving the 2 people's life's.