The fire at 9201 Kennedy Boulevard at 5:12 p.m. was called in via 911, with approximately 100 firefighters responding in about 30 vehicles, according to North Hudson Regional Fire & Rescue Chief Frank Montagne. Firefighters responding included those from mutual aid, from most of Hudson and southern Bergen counties.
No civilians were injured, according to Montagne, but two firefighters were; one suffering from heat exhaustion and the other with possible broken ribs. The two were taken to the hospital and released Sunday morning.
The fire is believed to be of electrical nature, but is still under investigation, Montagne said.
“The fire seems to have started in some type of electrical in the ceiling space,” he said.
All of the 50-unit structure was affected, according to the chief.
“They have some structural instability on one side of the roof area,” Montagne said. “The bricks are very unstable.”
Residents were initially brought to North Bergen High School and housed there over the weekend. - Joseph Passantino