According to NJ.com, the residents of 3510 Park Ave. will have to wait for electrical repairs. Seventeen of them are staying at hotels, paid for by the landlord, said North Hudson Regional Fire and Rescue Co-Director Jeff Welz.
The three-alarm fire began shortly before noon in the kitchen of a unit on the third floor. The building is four stories high. According to Welz, there were repairs going on in the kitchen.
The third and fourth floors were damaged.
The fire was declared under control in a little under an hour.
Weehawken public works employee Joe Cimino, who lives two doors down from the blaze, is being hailed as a hero. Cimino saw dark smoke, called the authorities, and rushed to the building to alert the residents. No one was harmed in the fire, even though the apartment where it started was gutted.