Light Rail service cut, Hoboken responds
On the weekend of Aug. 28, N.J. Transit implemented cuts to its Light Rail service. Effective Aug. 28, the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail began operating a new weekend service pattern.
Direct service between Tonnelle Avenue and Hoboken Terminal will no longer operate on the weekends and holidays. The new weekend and holiday routes will be between Hoboken Terminal and 22nd Street/Bayonne, and between Tonnelle Avenue and West Side Avenue.
If traveling from Tonnelle Avenue south to Hoboken Terminal on the weekends or holidays, riders will have to board a West Side Avenue-bound train, travel to Pavonia-Newport, and then transfer across the platform to a Hoboken-bound train.
When traveling from Hoboken to stations north, riders need to board a 22nd Street-bound train, and transfer at Pavonia-Newport to a Tonnelle Avenue-bound train.
The Hoboken City Council passed a resolution on Wednesday, which will ask NJ Transit for the service cuts to be reinstated.
The service changes caught the attention of Hoboken 4th ward council candidate Tim Occhipinti, who released a statement on Tuesday regarding the cuts in service.
“New Jersey Transit's decision to suspend direct Light Rail service between the Hoboken Terminal and the two other stations located around the community on weekends and holidays harms the quality of life of the people of Hoboken and especially the residents of the 4th Ward,” Occhipinti said in a press release.
The council candidate said he believes retail stores and restaurants will suffer because of the service termination, saying that two recently opened 4th ward establishments depend on Light Rail service.
Occhipinti released a follow-up statement on Thursday afternoon, stating that he is pleased with the council’s decision to join the fight for this return of service, but believes it should have been addressed earlier, back in May, when NJ Transit announced fare hikes. The cuts in service were part of the fare hikes program announced earlier this summer.
Free High Holiday services
Chabad Jewish Center of Hoboken offers free High Holiday services for Rosh Hashana (Sept. 8-10) and Yom Kippur (Sept. 17-18). All services will take place at the Boys and Girls Club, 123 Jefferson St., Hoboken (1st floor gym). Chabad services are open to all Jews, of all walks of life, and of all levels of observance. No fees, no membership, and no affiliation required.
Hebrew-English prayer books and talittot and kippot will be provided.
There will be a children's room with books, games, and snacks, and a children's program for part of the service.
For more information, check www.JewishHoboken.com or call (201) 386-5222
AAA North Jersey Announces: School’s Open – Drive Carefully
The AAA North Jersey headquarters has issued a press release that it has launched its 2010 “School’s Open – Drive Carefully” traffic safety campaign. AAA North Jersey is also distributing thousands of bumper stickers, posters, and other material to coincide with the September opening of schools in New Jersey and remind drivers to use extreme caution at this time of year.
AP: Bus taken from Hoboken by Harlem man
A Harlem man was arrested on Tuesday, Aug. 31, in Queens after he took a New York Trailways bus from a Hoboken maintenance facility for a joyride, according to published reports.
Darius McCollum, 45, has reportedly been arrested multiple times for posing as a transit worker. McCollum was arrested when he was 15 years old for commandeering a subway train, and has been arrested a total of 26 times, according to the AP.
The 52-seat bus had keys in the ignition, and the man walked into the facility, got on the bus, and drove away, according to the report.
In the report, McCollum's mother said the man is autistic and doesn't mean to harm anyone. She also said, in the report, that she didn't believe he had stolen the bus.
The man was stopped on an entrance ramp to the Van Wyck Expressway, according to the AP.
City awarded grant for sports equipment
Mayor Dawn Zimmer announced on Tuesday that the city of Hoboken was awarded a grant through USA Football to acquire sports equipment for the Hoboken Police Athletic League.
In addition to the grant for upgrades in equipment, the Hoboken P.A.L also received 100 tickets to the Sept. 2 New York Giants vs. New England Patriots preseason game.
The grant was awarded after Leo Pellegrini, director of human services, submitted an application to USA Football in the spring.
The city received $1,000 dollars for sports equipment funding, according to Juan Melli, city spokesperson.
“Even with multiple fundraisers and strict budget adherence, many well-run youth football programs like Hoboken P.A.L. need help to properly equip their teams,” said USA Football Executive Director Scott Hallenbeck. “We are proud to assist the kids and families of Hoboken with the NFL Youth Football Fund's support, and wish them a great time at the Giants-Patriots game on September 2.”