Texture's beauty, versatility at covering imperfections, and ease of application have made it a long-loved technique of do-it-yourselfers. There's a texturing technique to fit virtually every budget, decorating theme and level of expertise. Here are some tips for adding a textured look to your home decor:
* Keep it simple. You don't have to do anything complicated, difficult or even particularly time-consuming to achieve a good textured effect. In fact, the easier the process, the more you will enjoy it and that enjoyment will show through in your work.
* When working by hand with a trowel, roller or paint brush, you can use your favorite paint and any color you choose. Simply mix your paint of choice with regular drywall joint compound. Or, if you want to be cautious with color, you can apply the joint compound first, then paint over the completed texture once it has dried.
* The range of textures is virtually endless. Popcorn (most often used for ceilings), knock down and orange peel are among the three most popular, and simple, textures. Knock down and orange peel textures mimic the appearance of plaster or stucco on an interior wall.
* Nearly anything can be used to put the texture in the compound - from commonly used items like sponges and paint trowels to whisk brooms and even window squeegees. The texture is limited only by your imagination.
* Sprayers, a favorite tool of in-the-know do-it-yourselfers, is now also a viable alternative for adding texture to your walls. Wagner Spray Tech offers a sprayer specifically designed for adding texture to walls or ceilings. The Power Tex can apply texture to any ceiling or wall in your home, and uses three nozzles and a generous 1-gallon hopper to apply popcorn, knock down or orange peel textures. Compact and light weight, the Power Tex also offers a variable flow trigger, a hopper that adjusts for walls or ceilings, and an easy clean up design. A built-in air turbine eliminates the need for a separate, often cumbersome, air compressor.
The Power Tex is available from select retailers. To learn more, or for a list of retailers, visit www.wagnerspraytech.com.