Police Beat
by Compiled by Dean DeChiaro
Nov 10, 2013 | 2632 views | 0 0 comments | 76 76 recommendations | email to a friend | print

Ghastly Halloween crime at St. Ann’s rectory

An unknown amount of cash was stolen from a second floor office at the rectory of St. Ann’s Church on the night before Halloween, according to a police report. On Halloween morning, St. Ann’s parish priest Father Remo DeSalvatore, contacted police when he found that two doors in the church and several in the rectory ajar or unlocked.

According to the report, DeSalvatore told police that the church had been locked by a volunteer after mass the previous night, but that when the priest went to his office the next morning, he noticed the door jamb was splintered. After calling the police, he inspected a safe in his office, which was untouched.

Once police arrived, they checked other offices, including one on the second floor. According to the report, several papers and envelopes on the desk in that office had contained cash which was now missing.

Police conducted a search of the rectory and the church but found no leads.

Witness alleges ‘Booger’ was involved in attack

A man who was stabbed on Hoboken Housing Authority property refused to tell police the identity of his attacker recently, vowing only to “take care of it [himself]” when he was released from the hospital, according to a police report.

Police were dispatched to 400 Marshall Drive around 4:30 a.m. on Oct. 26 on the report of a stabbing and encountered a large group of people, who dispersed slowly as they arrived. Officers spotted a man lying on the ground and another kneeling next to him.

The man had a stab wound to the left side of his abdomen, the report said. The wound was approximately one to two inches in width, but the officers could not determine how deeply it had penetrated the man’s torso.

The man was immediately transported to Jersey City Medical Center, along with the man who’d been kneeling over him, who said he saw the incident take place. Neither the witness nor the victim wished to identify the attacker, and the victim himself expressed the desire for revenge, said the report.

Finally, the victim told police that the witness “should be able to” identify the culprit. The witness then told police that he didn’t know the alleged attacker’s name, but he did say that he sometimes goes by the nickname “Booger” and then a last name.

A peppery case of ‘he said, she said’

Police responded to separate incidents on Halloween night involving allegations of aggravated assault and the use of pepper spray that were most likely related, said a police report, although the investigation is ongoing.

Just before 11 p.m. last Thursday, officers responded to reports of a fight on Washington Street between Second and Third streets. Upon arriving at the scene they encountered a group of women who alleged that they had been approached by a male and female who had verbally berated them. Then, according to the report, the female had slapped one of the girls across the face.

After slapping the woman, the report said, the couple ran away. The couple was not familiar to the group of girls, said police.

After taking statements from the women, police dispatched the same group of officers to a Bloomfield Street apartment occupied by a couple who said they were involved in an assault on Washington Street and wanted to speak to police, said the report.

The couple in question, who police could not verify were the same couple that allegedly accosted the women on Washington Street, said that they were leaving a local bar when they were attacked by a group of women, said the report.

The women, the report said, allegedly hit the man on the back of the head and sprayed pepper spray in his girlfriend’s eyes. The girlfriend would not speak to the officers, and both she and her boyfriend refused medical attention.

Valuable purse swiped from car

A purse containing a Nook e-reader and almost $1,000 in money orders was stolen from a Ford Explorer SUV parked on Sinatra Drive on Halloween night, according to a police report. The theft took place between 3:50 p.m. and 6 p.m. and caused no damage to the car, which may have been left unlocked.

The car, a 1998 Ford Explorer, is equipped with a numerical code that unlocks it, which is not impossible to guess, the owner said.

Besides the money orders and the Nook, the mustard-yellow purse also contained a credit card and debit card, both which were canceled at police headquarters.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet