Hopefully the weather will stay warm and pleasant, so in anticipation of the summer months ahead I thought we should go over some rules of summer:
1. Toes need to be taken care of before sandals are worn. This doesn't mean your feet need to be the prettiest on the block, but a trip to the pedicurist is in order.If you don't want to go to a professional, just break out the pumice stone, clippers and polish. The boys should be paying attention to their feet too, but that's just wishful thinking so I'm not even going to waste the ink.
2. Wear sunscreen. This should be a no-brainer, but I still see people sporting the painful lobster look every summer. No one finds this attractive, I assure you. If you are really pale from the winter and need a tan, there are plenty of good self-tanners out there. Try one. For the really pale, try a light or light/medium tanner. Dark will just look funny. If you don't trust yourself to apply it correctly, go to a salon that offers the service.
3. Shorts are meant to be worn on the waist, boys. If the crotch of your pants is resting in the middle of your thigh, you need a belt. By the way, a prerequisite of clothing being called shorts is that they are shorter than pants. Those 'shorts' that go down to the middle of your calf or lower are called pedal pushers and capris.
4. Summer requires summer makeup. Opt for lighter, not heavy application. There is also no real need to wear make up while exercising. It blocks the pores, so sweat stays around your face, making your skin worse. Once you are bright red with streaks of sweat, the makeup isn't doing much anyway, besides running down your face.
5. Stringy and frizzy hair is not ideal. If you have stringy hair, the hot summer months will make you look like hell. Get an appropriate haircut or cute hair accessories so you can wear your hair up. Unfortunately, it looks like it is going to be a humid summer, so to everyone out there with frizzy hair, good luck. Since I have stringy hair I'm really lacking any advice for you. Guys, stringy hair is never attractive or necessary. Get a hair cut.
6. If you have nothing to do, go to the park and read a book or magazine instead of sitting inside. You never know who may walk by, and you may finally rid yourself of the pasty winter look.
Have fun this summer. - Amanda Koch (The writer is a frequent Current contributor.)