Delivered by Dr. Sasha Prakash, Sara came into the world weighing 6 pounds and 5 ounces, and was 19 inches long.
As a result, she becomes the winner of the Bayonne Community News' First Baby Contest for 2008.
Sara's father, Hassan Mohamed, a senior design engineer for a New Brunswick firm, has lived in Bayonne since 1998. He met his wife, Margo Chrzanowska, on a trip to Chicago.
"I wanted to see America in 2000. Margo was on the bus doing to the same thing," he said.
Hassan born in Egypt where his parents, Adyla and Aly, still live. He moved to Jersey City first, and then decided to move to Bayonne a place he described as "very quiet and very safe."
Margo lived in Poland. After meeting on the trip, the two conducted a long distance romance, until they finally married.
Margo, currently a finance analyst in New York City, said her parents, Eva and Andrzej Chrzanowska, still reside in Poland.
Neither Hassan nor Margo knew of the extensive Polish and Egyptian populations in Bayonne until after they settled here.
"There is one block where Egyptian and Polish stores are right next to each other," Margo said.
Hassan said they couple did not particularly favor a boy or a girl.
"We just wanted to have a healthy baby," he said.
New Year's babies have become an important icon in our culture, serving as a symbol of hope and prosperity. Sara joins some significant Americans in the distinction of being born on Jan. 1, including New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine, author J.D. Salinger, legendary boxer Rocky Graziano, and America Revolution heroes Paul Revere and Betsy Ross.
Both parents sang the praises of Dr. Sasha Prakash.
"She is the best of the best," Hassan said.
This is the couple's first child, although they said they intend to have more.
"We begged Dr. Prakash not to retire until we have another child," Hassan said.
What they won
To qualify being named the first baby, the parents must have resided in Bayonne for more than a year. But the baby can be born at a hospital outside the city.
The couple will receive a variety of prizes pledged by local merchants. These include:
* A 14-karat gold identification bracelet from Aarons Gold
* A $50 gift certificate from W. Kodak Jewelers
* Taxi ride vouchers for $25 from Archie's Cab Company
* A $50 gift certificate from Dillin Tire and Wheels
* A $50 gift certificate from Hendrickson's Restaurant
* One dozen roses from Sacalis Florest
* One gift basket with oral hygiene products from Dr. David Gleaner
* A Clinique or Estee Lauder gift set ($75 value) from Barney Stock
* A $100 American Express gift check from Bayonne Community Bank
* A $100 gift certificate from Bayonne Town Center
* A $25 gift certificate from Triangle TV Service & Sales
* A bank account for the baby with $100 from Pamrapo Savings Bank.