Hoboken Mayor Peter Cammarano, who was arrested Thursday on extortion charges that he has vowed to fight, agreed Monday morning to an exclusive interview with the Hoboken Reporter.
However, Cammarano laid down the ground rules: nothing but city business, or talk to his lawyer.
He has previously said he will not step down from his job as mayor, which he started a little over three weeks ago, and that he will fight the charges the FBI has against him.
During the Reporter interview, he was asked, as it relates to town business, if he will continue his previously-stated "zero tolerance" policy for corruption, related to the "violation of public trust."
Cammarano sat silent, declining to comment on that question.
He did say later in the interview that his personal life was not at all interfering with work.
He also said his proposed city directors have not asked him to resign -- although one source refuted that claim -- and that none of his directors have asked for their name to be withdrawn from consideration.
However, the chairs of his transition team did resign Monday at noon. The mayor said the dissolution of his transition team hasn't affected the city, nor has any aspect of his personal life. (See prior breaking news item on this page by clicking "Home" at upper left.)
Cammarano also said his policy of being the "walking mayor" was still intact, meaning he will continue walking around the city talking to people.
Cammarano was soon asked whether he would ask someone to step down if they were arrested.
He also shook his head, declining to answer that question.
The mayor also discussed the city's budget and other priorities he is working on, which will be noted in a later article in the Hoboken Reporter. However, any other questions about corruption or the charges against him were declined for the time being. -- TJC