With the 2010 holiday season upon us, the Weehawken Fire Prevention Bureau would like to take this opportunity to remind all residents of the following fire safety tips:
Keep lit candles 12 inches away from any and all other decorations that can burn hair and loose fitting clothing. Use sturdy candle holders that will not tip over. Always blow out the candle’s flame when you leave the room or go to bed. Choose decorations which are flame resistant or flame retardant. Check wiring for cuts, abrasions or fraying; do not use if any of these conditions are found. Make sure lighting is rated for use – indoor/outdoor. Do not overload extension cords or circuits. Use electrical power strips/protectors where ever possible. Keep fresh holiday trees and plants watered, daily if necessary. Keep trees from blocking any exit and keep three feet away from any heat source such as radiators, fireplaces, space heaters, vents, etc…
Copies of Fire Safety Fact Sheets are available at the fire prevention office at 2 – 50th St., the nutrition center at 201 Highwood Ave., the library at 49 Hauxhurst Ave. and the senior building at 525 Gregory Ave. Anyone needing assistance can call the Weehawken Fire Prevention Bureau at (201) 865-6610.
WORKING SMOKE DETECTORS ARE PROVEN TO SAVE LIVES!
Weehawken Fire Safety Education Officer