The $3 million project is being jointly managed by North Bergen and Guttenberg and is financed entirely by grand funds, according to North Bergen town spokesman Phil Swibinski. Both state Green Acres funding and Hudson County Open Space Grants will be utilized.
North Bergen has agreed to pay 73 percent of the costs, while Guttenberg will pay the other 27 percent. Town officials said last month that these percentages were determined by the respective portions of the proposed park in each town.
North Bergen Township Administrator Chris Pianese said last month that park construction will be completed in two phases. During phase one, site work will be completed to stabilize the ground to prepare it for future construction. Persistent Construction Company of Fairview was contracted for phase one of the construction.
“For phase one, the site work is estimated to take three months,” said Pianese last month. “They can work through the winter assuming we don’t have a massive snowfall.”
Guttenberg Mayor Gerald Drasheff indicated that the park may be open by fall.
RSC Architects of Cliffside Park have designed the park. The plans can be viewed by visiting http://www.guttenbergnj.org/projects/ -Stephen LaMarca