A two-alarm fire started in the basement of a three-family building at 2714 New York Ave. in Union City today.
Firefighters on their way to a separate fire in town were flagged down by the building’s residents, officials said.
“In one sense, that’s lucky because we got to the fire right away,” said North Hudson Regional Fire and Rescue Deputy Chief Frank Montagne. He added that it could have gotten a lot worse had they needed more time to respond.
He said that a faulty electrical switch in the basement caused the fire. The fire was contained in the basement, but heavy smoke filled the first floor, and smoke also reached the second floor.
One firefighter suffered a minor injury.