A firefighter suffered minor injuries to his face and a sprained ankle as a result of fighting a fire on Aug. 23 that displaced 16 residents from commercial and residential property at 538 Kennedy Boulevard. The firefighter was transported to Bayonne Medical Center. There were no other reported injuries.
Responding to a report of smoke coming from the roof, firefighters discovered an ongoing fire in the cockloft (the crawl space between the roof and ceiling below). Chief Greg Rogers said extra firefighters were called to the scene as the intensive operation of pulling ceilings to gain access to the fire required extra manpower. The fire involved insulation and wooden ceiling joists throughout the cockloft from the front to the rear of the building, and was in direct proximity to an electrical power box wire that was apparently overheated. Firefighters worked for about two hours extinguishing hot spots throughout the crawlspace. The fire remained confined to the cockloft area.
A total of 16 tenants were relocated to the Red Cross, due to smoke and water damage in their apartments. The building was a two-story brick commercial occupancy, with a computer store on the first floor, and apartments on the first and second floor. The fire investigator declared the fire accidental, the likely result of an electrical failure. The Police Department and Building Department were also at the scene.
Hispanic leadership induction ceremony slated for Sept. 8
The Bayonne Hispanic Association will hold its Leadership Induction Ceremony at 7 p.m. on Sept. 8 at Bayonne Masonic Lodge, located at 88 Avenue C.
New officers to be inducted include Christopher Munoz as president; Valerie Stephanie Paredes as vice president; Abbett Hernandez as standard bearer; Brunilda Medina-Munoz as secretary; Julie Sanchez-Lynch as treasurer; Christian Urbina as public relations director; and Charles J. Munoz as sergeant-at-arms.
The event will include dinner with music. Tickets cost $20. For more information, call (201) 978-2164.