Council members sue to invalidate Doyle’s appointment
Oct 24, 2012 | 3572 views | 10 10 comments | 16 16 recommendations | email to a friend | print

HOBOKEN – Members of the City Council have filed a lawsuit over the recent appointment of At Large Councilman James Doyle. The seat was left vacant in September by Carol Marsh. Council members Theresa Castellano, Beth Mason, Tim Occhipinti, and Michael Russo have said they believe the appointment of James Doyle on Oct. 6 was illegal. All four members who have filed are part of the council minority who publicly oppose Mayor Dawn Zimmer.

While some members of the council and the public would have preferred a special election in November to fill the vacant seat, this could only be done if March’s resignation was before Sept 1. She resigned on Sept 19, leaving the task of appointing a replacement to the council.

As Doyle was being appointed, a dispute arose over the process. The law governing the appointment process, the Municipal Vacancy Law, stipulates that the governing body appoints the person to fill the vacancy by “majority” vote. If all eight remaining members of the council had been in attendance, this likely would have led to a 4 to 4 tie, and in the event of a tie, by law, the mayor can cast a fifth vote.

On Oct. 6, Mason was absent for the vote and Councilman Russo abstained, resulting in a final vote of 4-2-1. Amid disagreement over what comprised a “majority” vote, Zimmer stood up and cast a fifth vote anyway, despite the lack of a tie.

This further confused the vote and elicited claims of illegality from the board minority.

A press release Wednesday from a city spokesperson said, “The City believes that their claims are entirely without merit. It is extremely unfortunate that instead of focusing on properly representing the interests of their constituents that these Council members are attempting to paralyze our government for political reasons to the detriment of the citizens of Hoboken who they were elected to serve.” – Amanda Palasciano

Comments
(10)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
vanforhire
|
October 25, 2012
While the Old Guard is up to old tricks, it appears one of their wannabes is hiring van drivers? The moron forgot to anonymize his email. Hey Old Guard, you keep him, too dumb for Reform.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/evg/3363218124.html
rotflmao
|
October 25, 2012
LOL. I knew it. Idiot posted another one looking for people to give out flyers, same thing forgets to hide his email address.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/gov/3363230646.html

HobokenLeaks
|
October 25, 2012
You can send the information to GA or MSV.

These people are little more than mercenaries. They lend whatever 'respectability' the public confers upon their fresh-scrubbed suburban appearance to a campaign that is out to ruin this city. And these bastards will take their craigs list bucks back to the burbs and not have to live with the consequences of the campaign they are trying to elect. They'd be mortified if we came to their sleepy little towns and took money to get the worst available elements elected. But that's what they're doing here.

Please send any info or screen shots you have to MSV & GA.
huskerdu
|
October 25, 2012
I tried the email address in the listing and the mail was sent back to me as undeliverable. I will admit the man is a good business man but could someone be anymore obvious than Joe? I did not see the truck tonight, my guess is Joe's error called it all off, did anyone see the truck tonight?
HobokenLeaks
|
October 24, 2012
Not one of Mason's many aholes-for-hire is even coming forward to attempt to offer an explanation for this stunt that has anything whatever to do with good government.

The suit is also MUCH worse than what is reported here. Do you homework HR.

After the election, I think it will finally be time to recall this cancer. Jim Doyle, the council majority, bloggers, people who would have lost their jobs if she succeeded in making the hospital go under, people who don't want to look at Swastikas on the way home form work.

Who WOULDN'T work for her permanent removal at this point?

Wake up, Stack. How bad do you want her money?
Masonop#9
|
October 24, 2012
This is a legal masterstroke for our Old Guard! First we had Mason ditch out of the first meeting although she was spotted by someone just hours before the meeting. We have our team looking into it and once we find that person, we'll sue them too!

Then we had Mikie out at the second meeting. This has to stand up in court. There's no judge in Hudson County who would see through our ruse.

Winning! We're winning this way, we're stealing that way. We're not done stealing yet.
DancingRudy
|
October 24, 2012
Where's the comment from the Mason/Russo crew? It's their lawsuit - where's their statement? Cat suddenly got their tongues? Mason puts out a press release about everything yet she has nothing to say about her own absurd lawsuit? Can't imagine the HR hasn't called her for comment.
HobokenLeaks
|
October 24, 2012
Another amazing tactical blunder by Team Mason.

They had wanted their Move Forward ticket to run against bloggers. That is sheer idiocy, but that was the plan. You can't "run against bloggers."

You can, however, mobilize people city wide to campaign against Beth Mason. That is what is happening for Kids First. Thanks, dumbass.
WESTY
|
October 24, 2012
Has Councilwoman Mason ever denied that her "absence" along with the rest of the Council minority wasn't part of her on going campaign to cause as much chaos and obstruct to the orderly working fo Hoboken to further her own political agenda ?

If she did would anyone believe her ?

WESTY
|
October 24, 2012
"Litigous Liz" Mason was also told by the City that her $7,000.00 plus contributions to her BOE ticket "Mason Forward" are illegal.

Much of which have gone to paying for all those weekly page 3 half-page ads in the Hoboken Reporter.

Of as usual Mrs. Mason has already threathened to take the City to court.