WEST NEW YORK – An 86-year-old West New York man died from injuries he incurred in a fire that started in his second-floor apartment on Friday, NJ.com reported this weekend. Julio Diaz was found unconscious by responding firefighters in his apartment at 6100 Adams St., an eight-story senior housing complex, and pronounced dead at Palisades Medical Center.
West New York Police Director Michael Indri told NJ.com that the fire appears to have started from a cigarette. The cause of death was declared smoke inhalation.
Firefighters from North Hudson Regional Fire and Rescue responded to the fire at 7:47 p.m. and had it under control by 8 p.m.