Residents for a Better West New York to hold another protest before sign ordinance hearing
Feb 19, 2013 | 2890 views | 0 0 comments | 8 8 recommendations | email to a friend | print

WEST NEW YORK – The concerned citizens group styling themselves Residents for a Better West New York will hold their second protest against an ordinance banning a wide variety of signs, business flags, and pennants around town just before a hearing on the ordinance will take place at Wednesday night’s Board of Commissioners meeting.

The ordinance has been a hot topic of conversation lately, with Residents for a Better West New York’s founder, Frank Ferreiro, arguing that it poses serious threats to constitutional rights. It was introduced in January and re-introduced earlier this month with more detailed clarification on exactly what type of signs are banned.

“The ordinance is very vague and very broad, and it leaves [Mayor Felix Roque] a lot of room to do whatever he wants to do,” said Ferreiro at the first protest, which was held earlier this month.

Ferreiro, a Sayreville resident, owns the West New York-based business TV on Wheels, which lately has advertised anti-Roque materials on its LED-laden trucks. The ordinance would ban such advertising on moving vehicles.

Roque, for his part, has insisted that the ordinance is not politically motivated, and said that it is meant exclusively to clean up the town’s business district. The mayor argued that the ordinance’s purpose is to clean up the town’s streets in preparation for the Formula One Grand Prix auto race, scheduled to be run in Weehawken and West New York in 2014. He said that the town’s excessive advertising, especially along Bergenline Avenue, is a detriment to the town’s aesthetics.

“I am trying to dress West New York for success. New investors, new developers,” he said. “We’re going to be in the spotlight.”

The protest is scheduled to happen at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, just before the 7 p.m. commissioners meeting.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet