HOBOKEN— Superintendent of Schools Dr. Mark Toback said Wednesday morning that he “explored another option but decided not to pursue it,” in response to two articles in Manchester, New Hampshire that said he was up for a superintendent job there.
Toback has been the superintendent of schools in Hoboken since early 2011. Two articles last week in the New Hampshire publication UnionLeader.com said that Toback was among three final candidates being considered for a job; one interview was at a community forum of over 100 attendees. A follow-up article then said that Toback withdrew his candidacy without giving a reason.
Toback said Wednesday that the Hoboken Board of Education was aware of his candidacy. “I was upfront, it was no surprise for them,” said Toback.
Board member Jean Marie Mitchell told the Reporter that she presumed the issue at the forefront for Toback was the New Jersey budget cap for superintendents. Toback confirmed this was a factor.
“The whole issue of salary caps is on the minds of anyone who is working in the state of New Jersey as a superintendent,” said Toback. “The people who you supervise could be making as much as you are making, or even more.”
Toback said that opportunities open often up nationally for superintendents and that this was one opportunity he explored but decided not to ultimately pursue. Amanda Palasciano, Staff Writer