HOBOKEN BRIEFS
Sep 22, 2013 | 3005 views | 0 0 comments | 47 47 recommendations | email to a friend | print
FROM DUBLIN TO HOBOKEN – Mayor Dawn Zimmer joined Wanda Jacey (second from left) and PJ Cowley (second from right) for the ribbon-cutting ceremony at their new bar and restaurant, Mills Tavern, located on Washington Street between First and Second streets. Cowley, who moved to Hoboken from Ireland in 1989, said that the business is inspired by his grandfather, who traveled through Ellis Island in the early 1900s and established the first Mills Tavern in Greenwich Village. Top row from left: Zimmer, Jacey, her husband Dave, Cowley and his wife Nichola. In the bottom row, from left, are their children: Stella, Blake and Maxine Jacey, and Megan, Niamh, and Ciara Cowley.
FROM DUBLIN TO HOBOKEN – Mayor Dawn Zimmer joined Wanda Jacey (second from left) and PJ Cowley (second from right) for the ribbon-cutting ceremony at their new bar and restaurant, Mills Tavern, located on Washington Street between First and Second streets. Cowley, who moved to Hoboken from Ireland in 1989, said that the business is inspired by his grandfather, who traveled through Ellis Island in the early 1900s and established the first Mills Tavern in Greenwich Village. Top row from left: Zimmer, Jacey, her husband Dave, Cowley and his wife Nichola. In the bottom row, from left, are their children: Stella, Blake and Maxine Jacey, and Megan, Niamh, and Ciara Cowley.
slideshow

Prosecutors release security video of suspects in Third Street homicide

The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office has released a video of three men whom they say are "persons of interest" in the death of a Hoboken homeless man a week ago.

Last week, during rush hour, witnesses saw a homeless man lying dead at Third and Jefferson streets with his head between two fence spikes. Investigators say they believe a group of three people followed the man there, with one allegedly striking him.

NJ.com reported last week that the victim, Ralph Eric Santiago, 46, was also struck from behind 27 years ago while living in the Bronx. After a long recovery in the hospital, he moved to Hoboken and lived on Garden Street for a time. His mother would go with him for meals at the Hoboken Homeless shelter. He met his fate on Sept. 10.

Prosecutors have not commented on a possible motive for the attack, or on possible suspects. However, late on Wednesday, news organizations posted a video of three "persons of interest," obtained from investigators who were "canvassing the area."

The video appears to be of the Second Street Light Rail station, just blocks from the site of Santiago's death. Three men appear to be African-American, one with dreadlocks. They enter the platform a few paces behind each other. Then the video stops.

To check out still photos, visit http://bit.ly/16M5VN1.

Anyone with information is asked to call (201) 915-1345.

Nine toddlers still on district’s Pre-K waitlist, but 10 no-shows to be dropped soon

Hoboken Superintendent of Schools Mark Toback said on Friday that he believes nine families remained on the waiting list for the district’s early childhood programs.

Hoboken provides free pre-school for 3 and 4-year-olds because it is a “special needs” district designated by the state. But there was an increase in families applying this year, and even when the district asked for more classrooms, there was not room for everyone.

However, Toback said that the district has identified 10 families designated as “no-shows,” meaning that the district believes they’ve enrolled in other programs or moved out of Hoboken. Legally, the district must wait 10 days before removing them from the enrollment lists, but once that happens, the last nine families will be placed.

Toback said he expects the waitlist to be empty by next week.

Local moms have also expressed concerns about the lack of afterschool programs for preschoolers at Wallace and Connors elementary schools.

Neither program has begun, Toback acknowledged. He said the program at Connors hasn’t begun because only two families have expressed interest in it. He said the program is parent-funded and thus dependent on enough families signing up.

At Wallace School, the program is being taken over by Mile Square Learning Center, outside the district’s jurisdiction. That program is expected to begin soon, Toback said, as the center is finalizing their background checks on employees before officially beginning it.

Hoboken’s Sandy volunteers win award from FEMA

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) on Thursday announced the winners of the 2013 FEMA Individual and Community Preparedness Awards. The awards recognize individuals who have taken action to prepare their communities. This year, highlighted accomplishments were achieved between January 1, 2012 and June 5, 2013.

FEMA received nearly 200 applications from faith-based, non-profit, private sector, and community-based organizations, as well as individuals. Leadership from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and FEMA, with input from representatives of the whole community, selected this year’s winners from among applicants from 39 States and the District of Columbia.

A press release said, “The finalists each demonstrated remarkable innovation and creativity in preparing and supporting their communities. The volunteers of the Hoboken Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) in New Jersey were essential in assisting the Hoboken Office of Emergency Management following Hurricane Sandy.”

Hoboken’s CERT volunteers won an award as "Community Preparedness Heroes."

Besides the CERT citizen volunteers, many other volunteers helped out during Sandy, based at City Hall, including groups from the Stevens Institute of Technology and other schools. Some of those volunteers eventually joined CERT.

Giants’ Manning to campaign for Zimmer at expensive Monday Night Football event

In spite of the New York Giants’ 0-2 start to the NFL season, it seems that star quarterback Eli Manning has found time in his schedule to get political. Manning and his wife Abby, who have lived in Hoboken for several years, will attend a Monday Night Football fundraiser for Mayor Dawn Zimmer on Sept. 30. Zimmer is up for re-election in November, running against two opponents.

The price tag for the affair isn’t cheap. Tickets are broken into regular and VIP categories, with VIPs getting a chance to meet the Mannings exclusively before the rest of the guests arrive. Tickets for the VIP reception are $1,000 per person and $1,500 per couple, while the rates for the normal tickets are $500 per person and $750 for couples.

And though you may think this will be a great chance to get your kid’s jersey signed, don’t count on it.

Zimmer’s invitation insists the evening will be a classy affair.

“Please note that no photography is permitted, no autographs will be signed and be advised that no paraphernalia such as footballs, jerseys, hats and the like will be allowed in,” says the invite.

Former Mayor Cammarano hit with campaign finance charges, report says

Peter Cammarano, the former mayor of Hoboken who in 2009 pleaded guilty to accepting $25,000 in illegal campaign contributions and recently completed a two-year stint in jail because of it, was charged with further campaign finance violations by the state’s Election Law Enforcement Commission (ELEC), according to a report in the Star-Ledger.

According to the Ledger, ELEC accused Cammarano with receipt of excessive contributions and cash, failure to file contribution and expenditure information, and failure to certify his reports.

Some of the illegal contributions came from Solomon Dwek, the FBI informant who under a false name assisted authorities in bringing down Cammarano and over 40 others on corruption charges, the report said, and other contributions never properly recorded.

Cammarano was the youngest mayor in Hoboken’s history, defeating Dawn Zimmer in runoff election before being arrested just 23 days into his first term. Zimmer ascended to the top office in his absence.

The ELEC complaint also names three of Cammarano’s 2009 city council candidates as well as his campaign’s treasurer. According to the Ledger, Cammarano and his four cohorts could face fines up to $6,800 per count if found guilty. The ELEC complaint consists of 14 charges.

Camarrano’s attorney, Joseph Hayden Jr., told the Ledger that Cammarano will continue to accept responsibility for any potential wrongdoings.

"Throughout the legal proceedings, Mr. Cammarano has accepted responsibility for his conduct and I am confident that after we analyze the complaint and digest the facts, he will continue to act appropriately and accept responsibility for his conduct,” he said. “That awaits a full analysis of the complaint and its allegations."

Public library announces Novella Night fundraiser

Tickets are on sale now for Novella Night, an evening of festive cocktail parties held in Hoboken homes. All proceeds from the Oct. 19 event will benefit the Hoboken Public Library.

Novella Night, sponsored by the Friends of the Hoboken Public Library, debuted in 2011. It is a “lite” version of the Friends’ popular Novel Night event, which now takes place in alternate years. Novella Night attendees enjoy libations, hors d’oeuvres and convivial conversation served up by an array of Hoboken hosts.

Novella Night tickets are $75 per person (and tax deductible as allowed by law). To reserve and purchase tickets, visit the Friends’ website at www.hobokenfol.org/novelnight.html. Payment can be made by check or via PayPal. The deadline for reservations is Oct. 1.

The Friends of the Library’s Novel and Novella Night events help raise funds for the Library’s ongoing preservation and renovation efforts. Proceeds from this year’s Novella Night will go toward replacing the Library’s existing front door with one compatible with the historically important building’s late-1800s architectural style.

For any questions about reservations or payment, call 201/618-7849 or email novelnight@gmail.com.

Free car seat inspections and education Saturday

Free car seat inspections and education will be available to residents of Hudson County on Saturday, Sept. 21, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Target parking lot (100 14th Street, Jersey City).

The event is part of “National Seat Check Saturday” and will include car seat inspections by Certified Child Passenger Safety technicians. Technicians will be on hand to teach parents and caregivers how to choose the right car seats for their children and how to install them correctly.

“There’s always danger on the road, every time you leave your home,” said Marissa Fisher, a trauma nurse at Jersey City Medical Center and Injury Prevention Coordinator for the hospital’s trauma division.

Motor vehicle crashes are still a leading killer of children 13 and under. Fisher reminds parents that “Children depend on you to keep them safe.”

Furthermore, she added, even if kids are in the right seat, sometimes they’re not buckled in properly. And even worse, some aren’t buckled in at all: In 2011, 36 percent of children under 13 in cars, SUVs, vans and pickups who died in crashes weren’t restrained at the time of the crashes.

Certified Child Passenger Safety technicians teach families how to correctly secure their child and give families the information they need to correct mistakes when using car seats, booster seats, and seat belts.

NHTSA recommends keeping children rear-facing as long as possible up to the top height or weight allowed by their particular seats. It’s the best way to keep kids safe in cars. Once a child outgrows the rear-facing car seat, he/she is ready to travel in a forward-facing car seat with a harness. After outgrowing the car seats, children should be placed in booster seats until they’re big enough to use seat belts safely. The safest place for kids under 13 is in the back seat of the car.

For more information on car seat and child car safety, as well as how to find other car seat check events, go to safercar.gov/parents.

Library to begin Family Saturdays Oct. 5

Starting Oct. 5, the Library will feature a series of family-friendly events on the first Saturday of every month, known as Family Saturdays. These programs are paid for through the generosity of the Friends of the Hoboken Library and include a mix of activities, magic, music, theatre, puppet shows, science, and live animals.

The first event will be Fit4Kids featuring Super Sue and Muscleman Mike in activities designed to teach children, through movement and interactive games, the value of healthy living. This is a family friendly program, especially for children aged 2 to 7. Because of the popularity of the program, there will be two performances, one at 2 p.m. and one at 3 p.m.

This is an open program; no library cards are required to attend. However, you must have tickets which are available for free. Go to the Hoboken Library website, www.bccls.org/hoboken and click on the Eventbrite banner. Scroll down and select the event you would like to attend. Please print tickets for all members of the family, adults and children, because of room capacity. Bring the tickets with you to the program on Oct. 5.

Schedules of the entire series of programs are available in the Children's Department of the library. Call (201) 420-2348 for other information about the Children's programs, services and, activities.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet