Little Bryan beat out a Clinton, N.J. baby by five seconds for the title.
While the rest of the country popped corks and let out cheers to welcome in the new year, Bryan's parents, Michael Goines Jr., 31, and Susie Cipriano, 26, welcomed their second son into the world at Meadowlands Hospital in Secaucus - thus qualifying them to win the Bayonne Community News' First Baby Contest.
The couple didn't know about the contest at the time, but Susie Cipriano did share the ward with another Bayonne mother whose child was born a few hours later.
"People started telling us that we had won a lot of things," Cipriano said.
"That's something very few places still do," Goines added.
Goines, an accountant working in Newark, and Cipriano, a teacher in Teaneck, are both originally from Jersey City, but have lived in Bayonne for almost two years.
"We grew up in Jersey City, but we knew about Bayonne and chose to live here," Goines said.
Goines noted that he is looking forward to the spring opening of the North 40 Environmental Park near to their home. "We're told there will be a boardwalk and a lot of wildlife there."
"I think it is very exciting to have the first baby of 2006," Cipriano said.
At birth, Bryan weighed 7 pounds, 10 ounces, and was 20.5 inches long.
The doctor who assisted with the birth was Dr. Sayed Aly, the hospital's pediatrician.
The couple was watching the ball drop on the TV set when the baby was born.
Bryan has a 15-month-old older brother, Jaden.
While the couple said they had no preferences beforehand as to the gender of the new child, the fact that Bryan is a boy means that he will have the benefit of many things that Jaden has outgrown.
"We have everything we need for him," Michael said.
Bryan's maternal grandparents are Maria and John Cipriano, and the paternal grandparents are Gertrude Holt and Michael Goines Sr.
"We're grateful for having a healthy baby," Susie said.
To qualify being named the "first baby," the parents must have resided in Bayonne for more than a year. But the baby can be born outside the city.
The couple will receive a variety of prizes pledged by local merchants, including:
* A gift basket with oral hygiene products, plus a coupon for the first dental visit from Dr. David Gleaner, of Family Dentistry.
* A 14-karat gold identification bracelet from Aaron's Gold
* A $50 gift certificate from You're Invited.
* A $50 gift certificate from Hendricksons Restaurant.
* A Clinique or Estee Lauder gift set ($75 value) from Barney Stock.
* Taxi vouchers worth $25 from Archie's Taxi.
* A $100 American Express gift check from Bayonne Community Bank.
* A $100 gift certificate from Bayonne Town Center.
* A $25 gift certificate from Triangle TV Appliances & Electronics.
* A $50 gift certificate from Dillin Tire and Wheels.
* One dozen roses from Sacalis Florist.
* A bank account for the baby with $100 from Pamrapo Savings Bank.
* Contact Al Sullivan at firstname.lastname@example.org