Bayonne fire injures tenant and sends baby to hospital
May 08, 2014 | 459 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
slideshow
BAYONNE – A fire on Monday evening on Broadway injured a tenant attempting to extinguish the blaze and sent a baby to the hospital with breathing problems, a fire official said.

The Bayonne Fire Department responded to a “structure fire” at 1052 Broadway on Monday, May 5 at approximately 9:30 p.m., according to Fire Chief Gregory Rogers.

Arriving firefighters were confronted by heavy fire in the basement of the two-story mixed use (residential/commercial) building.

“Fire hoses were stretched to the rear of the structure, where firefighters were able to halt the advance of flames that had extended to the exterior siding,” Rogers said. “Firefighters further advanced hoses through an exterior Bilco door to extinguish the main body of fire in the basement.”

A tenant suffered a blister burn to the hand when he attempted to extinguish the fire, according to Rogers, and a six-month-old baby girl was transported to Bayonne Medical Center with breathing difficulties.

Fire investigators determined the fire originated in the basement rear. It is still under investigation. – Joseph Passantino



Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet