Aug 06, 2014 | 2788 views | 0 0 comments | 41 41 recommendations | email to a friend | print

Compiled by Joseph Passantino 

North Hudson man falls off ladder doing residential work

A 34-year-old Union City man working on a home fell off a ladder, causing two injuries, Bayonne police said.

The incident occurred on July 30 at 1:14 p.m., when police officers were dispatched to the 600 block of Avenue E on a report of a man who had fallen from a roof, Capt. Walter Rogers said.

“When officers arrived, the victim was lying on his back, and was being treated by medical personnel on the scene from McCabe’s Ambulance and the Fire Department,” Rogers said.

The victim was alert and conscious and stated he was climbing a ladder and was about to connect a safety harness when the ladder buckled and caused him to fall approximately 15 to 20 feet to the ground, according to Rogers.

The victim was transported to the Jersey City Medical Center by McCabe's ambulance. At the scene, he complained of chest pains and an abrasion on his left shin.

There was also a second victim related to the accident, Rogers said. A second man had already been on the top of ladder with a safety harness on when the ladder buckled, and the momentum caused the second victim to swing into the side of the home. He did not fall to the ground. He complained of rib pain to his right side.

Both men work for a Jersey City roofing and construction company.

City man arrested on DWI and PCP charges

A Bayonne man was arrested after an incident allegedly involving driving under the influence, alleged possession of PCP, and allegedly fleeing the scene of an accident.

On July 27 at 12:28 p.m., police were dispatched to 55th Street and Avenue C on the report of a male slumped over the steering wheel of a black vehicle, according to Capt. Walter Rogers.

When officers arrived, they discovered that a motor vehicle crash had just occurred at the location. They also learned from a McCabe Ambulance worker that as he arrived and approached the driver's side window of a 2014 Ford Fusion, a man, later identified as Bryan Ormiston, 23, of West 57th Street, had allegedly put the car in reverse and accelerated at a high rate of speed in the southbound lanes of Avenue C.

It was further alleged that Ormiston had crashed into a Honda Civic being operated by a 49-year-old Bayonne man waiting at the red light at 55th Street and Ave C, and that the force of the impact caused Ormiston’s vehicle to spin around.

After that he allegedly fled the scene northbound on Avenue C. Officers allegedly found Ormiston’s vehicle unattended in his driveway on West 57th Street. At that time Ormiston allegedly exited his residence. Officers asked if he was the driver of the vehicle and he allegedly admitted to driving the vehicle. They asked him what had happened, and his alleged response was, 'I don’t know.'"

“It was determined on the scene that Ormiston was [allegedly] under the influence of PCP,” Rogers said. “[Allegedly] discovered on the inside of his car, in plain view, was a small glass bottle with liquid residue of suspected PCP.”

Police placed Ormiston under arrest and transported him to the Bayonne Medical Center for treatment of suspected PCP use, according to Rogers.

Ormiston was charged with DWI in a school zone, being under the influence of PCP, and endangering an injured victim. Summonses were also issued to him for reckless driving, leaving the scene of an accident with injury, failure to report an accident, obstructing the passage of other vehicles, unsafe backing up, and leaving a vehicle unattended with the engine running.

The driver of the other vehicle complained of pain to the head, neck, back, and left arm, according to Rogers. He was transported to BMC by McCabe Ambulance. All his injuries were non-life-threatening, Rogers said.

Ormiston was sent to the Hudson County Jail. Bail was set at $50,000, with a 10-percent cash option.

Ohio man charged with theft

An Ohio man was charged with theft after he allegedly took a jar’s worth of tip money from a Chinese restaurant on Broadway.

On July 27 at 5:15 p.m., police arrested Miles Brown, 20, of Dayton, Ohio, after responding to the Jade Garden restaurant on the report of a theft, Capt. Walter Rogers said.

Arriving at the scene, officers received information that a black male, wearing green shorts and a green shirt, had fled after allegedly stealing $10 from a tip jar.

Police searched for the individual and observed a male fitting the description.

“The actor ran into an alleyway after he observed the police coming down the street on West 27th,” Rogers said. “Additional officers responded, and one officer retrieved the canine unit, Canine Rocco, who [allegedly] observed the actor in the rear of a yard on West 27th.”

Brown was ordered at gunpoint to stop running and show his hands, and he allegedly failed to comply with the officers' order until he reached the fence at the rear of the yard.

“At this point the actor turned around, held up his hands, and was placed under arrest without further incident,” Rogers said.

A search of Brown allegedly revealed he was in possession of $10.

“He stated he [allegedly] took the money because he needed it for the train,” Rogers said.

Brown was charged with theft and obstructing a governmental function. He was released on a summons.


Queens man allegedly pulls knife during altercation


A South Richmond Hill, N.Y., man allegedly pulled a knife and was waving it during an argument over parking, police said.

On July 30 at 5:09 p.m., officers were dispatched to West 41st Street on the report of a fight, according to Capt. Walter Rogers.

When police arrived on West 41st Street, they encountered four men involved in a physical altercation, including Jonathan Nunez, a South Richmond Hill, N.Y., resident.

“Nunez was allegedly holding a knife. The sergeant on the scene unholstered his weapon and ordered the men to stop fighting and get down on the ground,” Roger said. “Nunez then dropped to the ground and was placed under arrest without further incident.”

Interviews revealed that a resident on the block allegedly heard from his house a neighbor involved in a heated argument. When he went outside to investigate, he allegedly observed the neighbor telling Nunez to move his truck out of his driveway.

After a couple of minutes of arguing, Nunez allegedly went inside a residence on 41st Street and returned after allegedly retrieving a stainless steel steak knife from the residence.

“Allegedly Nunez approached the first neighbor with the knife and started waving the knife directly at him,” Rogers said. “Nunez came at the first neighbor with the knife. Two other neighbors and the neighbor originally arguing with Nunez subdued him.”

At that time, officers arrived and took control of the situation, police said.

“Further investigation revealed that Nunez was unloading a truck for a moving company and that’s why he was at the scene at 41st,” Rogers said.

Charges lodged against Nunez were aggravated assault, unlawful position of a weapon, and possession of a weapon for unlawful purposes, according to police.

Nunez was released on a summons.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet